Friday, May 11, 2007

Here's one to ponder

Most (it's never all) people in the medical community feel that it's ok to withdrawl life support from a person that is terminal, especially if the person is in a vegitative state. Many (slightly less than the previous veg state) feel that its ok to stop active treatment if the prognosis is terminal and the patient says "I don't want to be treated anymore". And by ok, I mean morally acceptable.

So I got into a bit of a discussion the other day with some peers about the subject. Just how far does this extend? Is it ok for a person to say "I dont want any more treatment" no matter what the illness is, even if it eventually leads to a pretty much sure demise? Is it ok for the pt. to make such a decision without the input of friends/family? Or even if it the pt. does consult them, and they say "we want you to be treated" is it morally acceptable for the pt. to say "I'm stopping anyway. I can't/don't want to do this." Who is being selfish in such a case? The pt for ignoring any one else, or the others who aren't respecting what the pt. desires?

2 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger SocietyVs said...

I see that as a patient - doctor relationship - and if the patient see's fit to 'end their life' - who really has say over that? I think the patient can only make that decision. Then again there is very little respect for the doctor-patient relationship (since they haven't been going together very long).

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger DD3123 said...

Well legally there is no say over it that can breach this relationship. That is, the family legally can't trump the wishes of the doctor and patient UNLESS the patient is deemed incomp. to care for him/herself. This is more of a moral quesion on my end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home