Thursday, April 19, 2007

Universal Reconciliation pt II

So I finally brought the subject of Universal Reconcilation up to the wife. Not because I was shying from it, or was by any means ashamed of this new thing I stumbled on, but I wanted to be sure I had a decent, initial grasp of the subject matter. After all, it doesn't make for a whole lot of conversation to say "Well I was reading about so and so" and when she asks "So, what about...?" I'm just left with no answer. I like discussing things - theology in particular - in all forms, and to discuss, some basic knowledge is required. Hopefully she'll have read what I pointed out to her when I get home (yes I'm being unproductive at work at the moment) and we can both toss this new idea around.

The more I read other's thoughts, exegetical works and the history behind Universal Reconciliation, the more I seem to be running out of objections. And let me tell you, anyone that knows me knows I can object - very well. I can play devil's advocate for things I hate so well you'd have thought it was engrained in me at birth.

I would have made an excellent lawyer.

But I digress. I'm really running out of objections, and the more I toss this around, the more I'm becoming a believer. It does make me want to brush up on my biblical Greek and Hebrew so I'm not constantly going back to the books to verify what I'm reading. Even if my occasional readers of this blog do not ever agree with me on this, do take away that verifying is always a good thing.

My hub for this intro to the concept has been at tentmaker's "scholar corner" which can be found right here. Some of it very general, some of it gets a little technical or long. But there should be something for anyone. I started jumping around a bit, depening on my time or attention constraints. And then I moved on to other sites, and eventually came back.

Maybe in the next day or two I'll drop by one of the local seminaries and peruse their library on the matter. They have a few excellent resources to pull all sorts of good articles electronically. I'm sure I can dig up more on this there. Maybe for a next entry I'll blog some thoughts on a particular thought.

9 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Kevin Beck said...

Paul, in Romans 11, says that God committed all to disobedience so that he might have mercy on all. That is a radical concept--and was as difficult to accept 2000 years ago a it is today.

For me, reconciliation is always about the work of God. A friend of mine wrote a book called "Furious Pursuit: Why God Will never Let you Go." You can check out his site at www.timkingboks.com. Sorry for the "spam." But this is legit.

Blessings,
Kevin

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger DD3123 said...

Yeah I saw that in reading. The exact verse is Rom 11:32 "Romans 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all"

Being a big fan of Romans (probably my fav. in the NT) I was perplexed beyond belief that I had never seen it before

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger jim said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger jim said...

Hi M... sorry needed to delete that comment, spelling errors made it near incoherent, oops. I just tuned into your last few posts. I can relate, I have had a lot of "I can't believe I never saw this before moments".

I've enjoyed reading your thoughts!

What is your wife's reaction to all this?

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger DD3123 said...

I showed the wife and she basically had the same reaction as me. "Why haven't I seen this before?"

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger SocietyVs said...

I am not a universalist as of yet and only because some of it doesn't line up all to well with the ideas of action (or the foundational teachings of Jesus about 'do these'). But I am more than open to the idea.

By the gospels thing I mean following the teachings of Jesus - as a guide to a more abundant life. But again I am open on the issue...some of the universallies kind of don't get me.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Don Hendricks said...

I have built quit a library and collection of articles in the last three years, and I encourage you to keep examining the evidence. I really enjoyed studying Hope Beyond Hell, both online and available from the Author. And Talbotts Inescapable Love of God was helpful. When He demonstrated that you can arrange key passages of scripture to create three distinct pictures of who God is, I had a paradigm shift from which I never hope to recover.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Beyond Hell was a good read. I'll probably peruse it a few more times. I dont think I'll ever really stop looking, as I'm just wired for exegetical studies and obviously this falls into such things.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's a step in the right direction

 

Post a Comment

<< Home