Thursday, May 03, 2007

I'm a virus!

I seem to have infected a couple others with Universal Salvation / Reconciliation. The weird - and maybe it's not that odd - way this process works (and did with me) is just playing a little bit of pretend.

As a side, pertinent note, I've been with a few seperate groups of people, all of different background, all talking about studying Scripture in one way or another. I didn't offer any opinion either way as I was just observing, but each group stated the premise of "letting Scripture interpt Scripture" - which is always a good start, in theory at least. Its a lot easier said then done because we all bring our own agenda and views.

So, back to the topic. When I first started this endeavor, I tried to play pretend. And when I posed the question to my 2 new infected people, I got them to play pretend too. "Let's just pretend for a moment, we don't think there's a "hell" in the sense we think of it just yet. And let's play pretend that we don't think of God not saving only some. We can call it a hypothesis if we want." Once I/we've agreed to that, the challenge is then to scriptural and historical support for the hypothesis.

I'll admit it was a little odd at first, and rather challenging at times to read a bit of Scripture and have to say "This is only what it says. Nothing more, nothing less."

On the same overall subject, I've sent off some inquiries for input on the usage of aionas/aionon. I'm not expecting anything earth shattering, but since my Greek is not nearly as strong as those I'm inquiring, I figure its at the very least, good practice.

1 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Blogger SocietyVs said...

"On the same overall subject, I've sent off some inquiries for input on the usage of aionas/aionon." (Mego)

Hey I did the same thing too. I also did this same experiment with some people from my local church - and it was quite a good discussion - nothing wrong with pointing to the ideas of grace and love - it's just so useful in this lifetime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home