Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Jesus and Hooters

Since 11th grade (14 years ago or so) I've been listening solely to 104.1 on the radio. I love it. They've had a few shows come and go, but oh well, the current line up is fantastic. They can be found here. The Philips Phile is the only one left since I started listening, The monsters have been around a long while, and I really like the Shannon Burke show, which is relatively new (2 years now?).

Anyway, The Monsters are on during my drive to work, and this morning they started talking about how some Christians go around not doing anything because of "temptation". Don't watch R movies because of temptation. Don't drink because you will be tempted to do this and that. Anyway, one of the things one of them experienced along these lines was "You shouldn't go to Hooters because you will be tempted to cheat on your wife." which was followed up by "Would you take Jesus to Hooters?"

I was thinking about this, and before the radio show personalities answered, I thought to myself "Yeah, I'd take Jesus there. They have good wings!"

Let's look at this from a theological standpoint too. If we assume that Jesus is omniscient and omnipresent being one with God the Father:

- Jesus will not falter no matter what is trying to tempt him. Therefore, Hooters will have no effect on him.
- Jesus already sees what is in Hooters anyway, therefore it will be nothing new.
- Jesus use to hang out with hookers and the like, who were actively looking to trade sex for money. Hooters girls are just serving food, and not looking to really be picked up by the 238947 guys that try everyday.

So Jesus is out of the equation. For myself, is it possible to go to Hooters then? Yes, most definately. The last time I went to Hooters was in January with my cousin who wanted to watch a football game while we drove up to Boston. We spent some time there, and while she was off playing around the resteraunt (mostly trying to track down their photographer) our waitress talked to me a bit. I guess I wasn't oogling her and the others enough, as her one of her questions finally came up, "So do you wish there were a bunch of guys in short shorts around here?"

"Huh?"

"You're gay aren't you?"

"No, not at all."

This was a bit of a shock to her, and made me start to laugh. "Why did you ask?"

"I'm sorry, I just thought you were." She seemed to take a much better intrest me in this point. I guess that made me something that was attainable. And in all honesty, she was a very pretty girl. But here's where the Hooters part comes in, they - her included obviously - don't wear anything that is *that* much more revealing anymore. Walk around the mall and you'll get an eye full these days. Not that I really care really, I suppose I'm desensitized now. Most everyone is. So my point is, though she looked really good and was wearing a form fitting top and some high riding shorts, it wasn't new.

I suppose I should also consider the location. There could be the arguement that I only did not succomb to temptation because of where we were. This was somewhere in NJ, and we were not stopping for the night, which made anysort of 1 night stand or relationship out of the question. It could be argued that I did not persue the conversation with our waitress in any sort of "pick up" means because of the logistics. If I had lived in the area, or was staying the night, it could be argued that I would have at least tried with the now very interested and attractice waitress we had. Perhaps.

However, I would counter with the same could be said no matter where we would have been. There are certainly other resteraunts with attractive servers. Should I stop eating? Further more, attractive females have actually been spotted outside of Hooters, which means to avoid being tempted by them - especially those who might take an interest in me - I should avoid the outsides completely.

But back to Jesus and Hooters. Let's say I'm in my own town and Jesus stops by. Would I take Him there? Sure. Like I said before, they do have really good wings (at least mine do). And even if I did start getting tempted, He would obviously know, as He is God under our assumption. And when God says, "Don't forget you are married," with a little wink, am I going to argue with what He's saying and knows I'm thinking? Nope.

Course, if He leaves early to find a leper to heal, that's another story :)

4 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger SocietyVs said...

Good points - I always find people that raise the WWJD question - have no clue what they mean by asking it.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger DD3123 said...

Usually what they mean (I think) is "Better listen to me" :)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Redlefty said...

I wonder if he wouldn't be in our inner city, trying to help the homeless and drug addicts. Even on Sunday morning (blasphemy!).

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger DD3123 said...

How dare He not attend a church service! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home