Monday, June 05, 2006

Intern meet chaplain

So I got called into the hospital today for some funky issues which basically meant a ton of pts needed to be seen, and the slave labor (intern) just wouldn't be able to handle the load on his own. It was rather funny that a person a few years my senior (5-7?), had more formal education than I (a year or so) and had been in a paid leadership role was now talking to me from an underling position. Shouldn't suprise me though. I always said the first six months was like bootcamp. You get through that, and you are "in the club". He's just cresting his halfway mark, and in comes the help, who is by his eyes, a veteran at this (technically still a rookie I guess, since my 1 year mark will be in August).

"You are going to be a resident?"
"Yeah"
"Wow...So you got in?"
"Yup, I was rather excited to get one of the few spots. I can't wait."
"It takes a special calling for this..."

Yeah I've heard that a lot. I do and don't think that at the same time. I do ultimately realize that this work is very draining, is very scary, and goes to a lot of places most people don't even want to think about - let alone sit in for an hour, or two hours, or days on end. However, it does have it's rewards. And I don't think it's a special calling, because its just something I like to do. It's something I have to do - in the duty sense. While I have never recieved the medal of honor - or any real high ranking decoration - I think I can identify with all the recipients who when asked about the event, merely reply "I was just doing my job"

So yeah, it's rough and it's not for everyone, but I feel odd and akward when people oogle over what I do - or rather, that I *want* to do it. I'm just doing my job.

Well I get tomorrow and Wednesday off, then its back in the saddle Thursday for another 10 days or so.

T-minus: 02M 07D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home