Wednesday, May 17, 2006

It's not a bug

It's non existent!

So I'm poking around this program for a while now, trying to figure out what on earth another programmer did to screw it up. At first glance it looks decent, although it lacks comments and some of the variable names are confusing as to what exactly they mean. But I eventually start untangling it all and finally decide to insert a bit of my own code in an effort to fix this "bug". And it does what I want it it - sort of. It stops going into an infinite recursion and I breathe a sigh of relief. All that's left is to call up the end functions, assign winners, reset the hand, etc. Easy right? I mean, this is just a bug and I can just look at *other* portions of code that call them.

Huh, that's weird. There is no end game called. No winner function called. But it seems to be written in - partially at least. Surely it's somewhere. Let's just put a few break points down and see where in the stack it gets called. WTF! Not once? Hell, the rounds dont really end at all!

This program is not bugged - its quite literally incomplete. Geebus. I should have guessed when the AI was quite literally, a few lines of if / else commands based on some variables. At least that did something though - even if it was marginal.

Some people really need to pay attention before shuffling work off to be looked at. I mean, it would be like going to have your car fixed, telling the mechanic it wont turn over but you suspect its the starter because it's old, and it had trouble before. The mechanic takes it in the shop, opens it up, and...

"Well here's your problem right here, and it aint your starter"
"Oh? Did you find a loose wire? Maybe the alternator and the battery is dead?"
"Your spark plugs are gone. Camshaft and pistons too."
"Oh my! How badly are they all broke?"
"No. I mean they are not here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home