Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hospice! & the stuff of Evil(TM)

Things have been a little busy around here, between grabbing a few classes at seminary and hunting down a FT position as a chaplain. To the latter I might be taking a Hospice position, which would be nice, since Hospice worked hand and hand with the Palliative team I was on.

So I got into a little discussion on the substance of Evil, and how it works, what it is, etc. Some people believe it is this thing, like you can mix 1 part good, 1 part evil, and 3 parts water in some sort of recipe. I don't recall where I heard / read it, but I always found that thinking of evil as the absence of good fits "the universe" much better - not too mention explains why if there is an infinite Good God, why Evil must be a possibility.

Along the same lines, there is no such thing as "cold". Cold is simply the absence of heat. Likewise, there is no such thing as dark. Dark is simply the absence of light. Thus, for something to exist that affects things, there must exist a state where that thing is not affecting a particular object. For light to exist, there has to be the possibility of non-light. That doesn't mean that you can't fully illuminate a room or what not, but there will always be the possibility of light not being in the room.

My .02

1 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Redlefty said...

My father-in-law is a hospice chaplain. Small world.

I like your view on evil/darkness. It's much more hopeful and positive than the idea that there's a boogeyman trying to get us every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home